I feel like this summer has been the longest in my life. I’ve done so much and I feel like I’ve changed a lot this summer. That being said, I still hate that it’s ending. Life goes on and I have to go back to school.
One of the things that I’ve spent this summer doing is rediscovering and loving myself. This past school year, I got caught up in my work and life and could not take as good care of myself as I needed. So I spent a lot of time this summer just putting myself first and taking care of me without as much stress as I usually have on me.
Maybe you find yourself like me, and you just need some personal TLC. Or maybe you just came out of a really bad place (like a bad relationship or something), and you need to rediscover yourself. Either way, I hope everyone can benefit from these tips.
- Change your hair- This is always something that helps me feel like me. I sprayed my hair pink for a murder mystery dinner in May. Then, in June, I chopped 11 inches off and got magenta highlights. To me, cutting off my hair helps me cut off some stress and weight that I feel I’ve been carrying around. Plus, it’s nice to have a change.
- Learn something new- I took a math class this summer, and while I did not learn much, I definitely learned some things and had to challenge myself. Take a class, learn a dance, make a recipe, just let your brain do something. It doesn’t have to cost money. Look up something on Pinterest and learn how to do it.
- Be creative- I’ve spent a lot of time this summer painting and making things. I worked with denim and made some things there. I’ve been painting for my apartment, and I’ve had time to work with my hands. I’m precise and I love being able to use that in my creativity.
- Travel- As you all know, I’ve done quite a bit of traveling this summer. I went to Boston with my sister over Memorial Day weekend. Then, I went to historical sites around the state of Indiana with one of my best friends. That was probably some of my favorite parts of this summer. I got to see new things and learn more history. It was such an amazing experience that helped me really enjoy myself and where I’m at. Speaking of…
- Be present- This one may sound weird, but enjoy the moment. Don’t worry so much about the future. Take time to enjoy the day. Make memories, and let the future come as it does.
- Have fun- Life shouldn’t be serious all the time. So do things that make you happy. I went to King’s Island with my sister and a couple of friends at the end of June. That was such a fun day. I laughed, cried, and enjoyed making memories. While I had some more serious moments, I also made a lot of great memories this summer.
- Make time for the people you love- I would not be where I am today without my friends and family. But I don’t usually get to see all of my friends all of the time. I have friends in college that live kind of far away from meat home, and I have friends at home that I don’t get to see when I’m at college. So this summer, I’ve spent a lot of time with the friends I only get to see when I’m home.
- Take care of yourself- I do a face mask pretty much every week, drink water, eat well, and other things to take care of myself. That’s honestly one of the biggest things that helps me. I can love myself knowing I’m treating my body, mind, and spirit well.
- Exercise- I’ve done a lot of exercise this summer. Whether walking around Boston (10+ miles a day), swimming, or just bodyweight exercises (squats, sit-ups, push-ups, etc.), I feel like I’m constantly doing something. This isn’t really a “losing weight” thing. It’s more of “I want to be healthy”. I’m healthy now, but I can do better, so that’s what I’m working towards.
- Read or watch movies- I’ve watched quite a few movies and read quite a few books this summer. Both are things that help me relax and enjoy life. Both also help me to expand my horizons.
- Track your habits- I track a lot of things of my life, from sleep to the movies I watch. That makes me feel a lot better about things and help me. When I have a bad day and get into my head, tracking my habits reminds me that hey, bad days happen. But they don’t outweigh the good ones.
- Connect with your spirituality/religion- Whatever you believe in, grow and strengthen that.
- Find your anthem- Music is one of my favorite things. It makes me feel powerful. Find a song that speaks to you. It needs to make you feel good and powerful. Personally, I have quite a few. Lately, my anthems have been “Bulletproof” by Godsmack, “Black Soul” by Shinedown, and “Novocaine” by Fall Out Boy. Those are my pick-me-up songs that remind me that it’s all gonna be okay.
- Be proud of your journey- Becoming the person you want to be takes time. You aren’t going to get there in one day. Overcome your obstacles. Admire your strength. And work hard to make your dreams a reality.
- Don’t give up- It may seem tough at times, but you can do it. You’re amazing as you are, and you need to find that again. That’s why you are here, reading this post. Can I tell you something? I’m so proud of you. Your circumstances in life has led you to where you are right now. You’ve beaten everything you’ve come up against. Sure, you might be scarred and bruised, but you’re here now. That’s what matters. You got this!
Well, I hope these help you the same way they’ve helped me. I still have bad days. But I don’t give up. I continue and keep going. These tips have helped me out a lot, and I hope they help you as well!
Let me know if you have any thoughts or comments!