You know, I’ve had this blog for over two years now, and I haven’t done a Thanksgiving/ gratitude post. I’ve decided to change that this year! I know that Thanksgiving has become a more controversial holiday in the recent years, and I understand why. But whether you do it in November or some other time, I think it is important to take a day and recognize everything you are thankful for. Otherwise, it is easy to get caught up in envy. I may not have the nicest car, high-end clothes, etc.; but I do have more than I need, and I am thankful for that.
I want to dedicate this post to a definitive list of things I am thankful for, along with an explanation as to why. Some of them will probably be pretty universal, but others may be more specific.
- Faith- I have to start here, because this determines everything else. I don’t mention it much on here, but I am a Christian. I need to be honest here. My faith hasn’t always been as strong as it should be. It’s been a work in progress all year long, but my faith is so much stronger than it has been, and I am so grateful for that.
- Family- This doesn’t just include those with whom I share blood or DNA. My family is crazy and complicated, but I love them all the same. I may not get to see my family as much as I like, but I am so glad each and every one of them is in my life.
- Friends-Similar to family, I have quite a few people I consider my friends. Some are closer to me than others, but they are all still important to me regardless. I wouldn’t be where I am without my friends.
- Education- I am so thankful for my ability and willingness to go to college to prepare myself for my career. I don’t mention this a lot because I do well in school, but college is hard. There is so much to do pretty much all the time. It’s a lot of work. I have a year and a half left, and it’s not gonna get any easier from here. But I wouldn’t change it for the world. I am where I need to be, doing what I need to be doing, and learning more to prepare me for my future career as a teacher.
- Struggles- This one is a little weird, but it needs to be on the list. If you read my blog at all, you’ll see thatI’ve had a more somber tone in recent weeks. There’s been a lot going on in my life, some of it I haven’t always been strong enough to handle. But the things I struggle with and go through make me stronger. So in the end, I am thankful for them because they continue to shape me.
- Change- This is pretty similar to the last one. I’m changing all the time. I’m working on improving myself and becoming better. I am not the same person I was last November, and that’s awesome to me! If I were the same, I would feel like I have not had any growth as a person.
- Job- I don’t talk about it a whole lot, but I do like having a job. It may not pay the best, but it does still allow me to save up money. I also like that it’s a physical job. I’m on my feet for a lot of it, and I like that so much better than just sitting at a desk.
- Senses- It is so cool to see everything that your senses do for you. I love being able to completely experience the world around me through my senses.
- Brain- I’m in a neuroscience class this semester. Let me tell you: the brain is pretty cool! It’s not something I want to dedicate my life to (unlike someone else in my family), but it’s so fascinating to know how everything works together to regulate my life.
- The rest of the body- Your body is so cool. I am so thankful for everything that holds me together and my arms and legs and all of it. I have a body that works and responds to exercise.
- Apartment, car, clothes, and other material items- I’m getting a little more materialistic right now, and that’s okay. I’m thankful for material things. I am thankful for my apartment I live in this year, and my car. My apartment may not be the best, but it works. It has heat, air conditioning, a kitchen, a bathroom. My car is very similar. I drive a car that is 16 years old. I have crank windows and two separate keys. But it works. I can use it to get to work, go home, or run errands. Some of the things I own are secondhand, some are worn down, and some are still pretty nice. But I’m grateful nonetheless. I have more than I need, and I want for nothing. The things I do want to buy, I often save up so I can buy them.
- Opportunity- I am thankful for the opportunities I have had in my life, and the ones I am going to have in the future. I would not be who nor where I am without them.
- Love- I have so much love to give and so much to receive. I am grateful for having that in my life.
- Memories- This semester alone, I have created so many memories. Some are good, and some are bad. But I am so fortunate to be able to remember them. My roommate is making a video over something a couple friends and I did earlier this year, and just watching it brings back the events and memories of the day.
- Food and drink- I LOVE food! Seriously! I love that there are so many healthy options, and now that I cook more, I love discovering new recipes and things to cook. I’ll talk more about this in a later post, but I don’t diet. I eat well, but I still enjoy carbs, pizza, ice cream, cookies, and everything else deemed “unhealthy”. I just moderate it most of the time.
- Music- I love listening to music, singing, and dancing. Music is such a crucial part of my life. I listen to it when I’m at work, when I’m working out, and when I’m getting ready.
- All of you- This is last but it definitely is not the least. You as my reader means so much to me. Without you, this blog probably wouldn’t be continuing or as successful. I am so grateful to each and every one of you for reading my blog and supporting me!!!
So that’s my list. I probably missed some things, but there is so much I am thankful for in my life that I feel like I’m going to have to miss something. What are you thankful for? Take some time this week and really think about it!
Be sure to check out my weekly roundup!
One thought on “Gratitude”
Pingback: Thankfulness | Battle Kim of the Republic